Stabilization & Assessment Programs
Day Diagnostic Assessment & Extended Evaluations
Brandon provides short-term Day School Assessment services as a component of the Special Education program. The program is designed to meet the individual needs of the student as defined by parents, referring school district, and other involved professionals. From the time of referral, the team collaborates to develop diagnostic questions to guide the assessment and lead to practical recommendations. The assessment will assist in identifying strengths and areas of needed support in the student’s school functioning; identify underlying etiology to inform intervention and contribute to the design of an appropriate Individualized Education Program; assess levels of psychological, social, medical, behavioral, educational, peer, and family functioning; provide concrete and practical educational and aftercare recommendations; and provide transition support to students, their families, and receiving schools.
As part of the Day Diagnostic Assessment service delivery, Brandon offers a variety of topic specific areas that are sometimes needed when addressing identified concerns. These can include:
- Extended Evaluations to support successful completion of IEP
- 45-day interim alternative placement
- Medication Evaluation to best support student within school setting
- Assessment for Bullying behaviors and victimization
- School Risk and Safety Assessment service for students that are typically exhibiting problematic, high-risk behaviors that have not responded to traditional school based interventions. During the 45 school day placement information specific to the presence or absence risk factors associated with aggression and violence, along with protective factors, are gathered and synthesized in order to provide a specific risk profile for each individual youth.
Questions that can be answered during a Day School Assessment include:
- What type of educational setting and school placement would your student best respond?
- What supports and services are needed to better support the student in successfully meeting school expectations?
- What are your student’s triggers within the school setting that hinder successful attendance and completion of school expectations?
- What social dynamics might play into your student’s current struggles within school setting?
- What are the long term educational planning that can support your child in meeting academic goals and expectations?